Found in Translation Award
The award was established in 2008. It is given every year to a author/authors of the best Polish literature translation into English that was published in a book form in the past calendar year. The award is a diploma, a one month residence in Kraków with a monthly salary of 2,000 PLN, a flight to and from Kraków and a financial award of 16,000 PLN.
The award is given by the jury consisting of representatives of the Book Institute, the Polish Cultural Institute in London and the Polish Cultural Institute in New York. The Book Institute's director presides over the jury.
The award winner's name is announced during the award presentation ceremony that each time takes place in the winner's country of origin, if possible, during the International Book Fair in this country. The candidate's can be nominated by a natural or legal person from Poland and abroad.
The award winners thus far are:
- Bill Johnston, for the translation of poems by Tadeusz Różewicz (2008)
- Antonia Lloyd-Jones, for the translation of The Last Supper by Paweł Huelle (2009)
- Danuta Borchardt, for the translation of Pornografia by Witold Gombrowicz (2010)
- Clare Cavanagh i Stanisław Barańczak, for the translation of Here, a volume of poetry by Wisława Szymborska (2011)
- Joanna Trzeciak, for the translation of poems by Tadeusz Różewicz (2012)
- Antonia Lloyd-Jones, for the entire work done by the translator in the year preceding the presentation of the award (2013)
- Philip Boehm, for the translation of the book Chasing the King of Hearts by Hanna Krall (2014)
- Ursula Phillips, for the translation of the novel Choucas by Zofia Nałkowska (2015)
- Bill Johnston, for the translation of Twelve Stations by Tomasz Różycki (2016)
- Piotr Florczyk, for the translation of Building the Barricade by Anna Świrszczyńska (2017)
- Jennifer Croft, for the translation of Flights by Olga Tokarczuk (2018)
- Madeleine Levine, for the translation of Collected Stories by Bruno Schulz (2019)
- Anna Zaranko, for her translation of The Memoir of an Anti-hero by Kornel Filipowicz (2020)
Ewa Małachowska-Pasek oraz Megan Thomas, for their translation of The Carrer of Nicodemus Dyzma by Tadeusz Dołęga-Mostowicz (2021)
Entries that should include the book title, the names of the author and the translator, the name of the publishing house and the justification for the nomination should be sent to the address:
ul. Zygmunta Wróblewskiego 6
PL 31-148 Kraków
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with a postscript FOUND IN TRANSLATION
The deadline for entries is a January 31 of each year.
For information about the award contact Łucja Gawkowska (tel. +48 61 71 920).