Karol "KRL" Kalinowski
(born 28th July 1982 in Suwałki) Polish cartoonist, illustrator, cartoon scriptwriter. He holds the title of Master of Arts in graphic design and works as a librarian. He creates comic strips, makes music and computer graphics. He lives in Olsztyn.
Kalinowski began his career by drawing for local magazines, then he contributed to the ‘zine ‘Koks’. He gained recognition and popularity thanks to a successful cooperation with an iconic magazine ‘Produkt’, where he published ‘KaeRelki’ – a series of one-page comic-strips. Since the closure of ‘Produkt’, Kalinowski has been creating new comic albums himself. He contributed to the children's magazine ‘Świerszczyk’.
Awarded many times, Kalinowski received, inter alia, a recognition award in the Euroshots Festival 2005 for an animated 1-minute film Berek (Tag) in 2005, the Polish Comic Association Award for the year 2009 in the category ‘The Best Polish Comic Book’ for Łauma (2009), an award of the Regional and Municipal Public Library in Gdańsk for the publishing house ‘Kultura Gniewu’ for Łauma as the most-borrowed teenagers’ book (2009), an award for the Best Polish Comic Album 2009/2010 at the International Festival of Comics and Games in Łódź (also for Łauma), and the second prize in the Polish nationwide competition for the bookplate of Feliks Nowowiejski w Olsztynie (Feliks Nowowiejski in Olsztyn) in 2010.
Kalinowski participated in numerous exhibitions in Poland and abroad, including Komiks w awangardzie (Comics in the avant-garde) by the Contemporary Art Gallery BWA Wrocław in Gallery ‘Awangarda’ (Wrocław 2004); Polsky Komiks Dness in Novomestske Radnice Gallery (Prague 2004); Pomysł na komiks (An Idea for a Comic Book) by Art Gallery BWA Jelenia Góra (Jelenia Góra 2005), Comics nach polnischer art (Bremen 2006, an exhibition shown as part of the "Young Poland" festival in Bremen).
- Ostatnia kronika, Dampc i anioł, Timof i Cisi Wspólnicy
- Liga Obrońców Planety Ziemia, Egmont, 2004 i tom 2, 2005
- Kaerelki - i inne takie, 2006
- Yoel – 1 – Święty Smok i Jerzy, Taurus Media, 2007
- Łauma, Kultura Gniewu, 2009
- Szkicownik - 1 - Karol Kalinowski, ATY, 2011
- Kościsko, Kultura Gniewu, 2016
- Osiedle Swoboda, by Michał Śledź Śledziński (volumes 4-5)
- Antologia komiksu polskiego: Człowiek w probówce, Egmont, 2004
- Antologia piłkarska: Wszystko, co chcielibyście wiedzieć o piłce.., Kultura Gniewu, 2006
- Dampc. Prywatny detektyw, Timof i Cisi Wspólnicy, 2006)
- Strefa Komiksu #10 - Apokalipsa, cz. 1, 2008
- Ziniol, 3/2008
- W sąsiednich kadrach - Polacy i Czesi o sobie w komiksie", Centrala, 2009
- Binio Bill - ... i Gwiazdy", 2011
- Karton #6, 2011
- Biceps #4, ATY, 2011
- Szóstka, Jebulani, 2016