Translations of the novels Księgi Jakubowe (“The Books of Jacob”) by Olga Tokarczuk and Według niej (“According to Her”) by Maciej Hen have been shortlisted for this year's European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Prize.
The nominations for the EBRD Literature Prize are open to books written by writers from nearly forty countries in Central and Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa. Only books translated into English can be nominated.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development prize is awarded to author/translator duos and amounts to €20,000.
The following are this year's shortlisted works:
- Mister N by Najwa Barakat, translated from the Arabic by Luke Leafgren, Lebanon
- The Lake by Bianca Bellová, translated from the Czech by Alex Zucker, Czech Republic
- Mothers and Truckers by Ivana Dobrakovová, translated from the Slovak by Julia and Peter Sherwood, Slovak Republic
- Invisible Woman and Other Stories by Slavenka Drakulić, translated from the Croatian by Christina Pribichevich Zorić with Jacob Agee, Croatia
- Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov, translated from the Bulgarian by Angela Rodel, Bulgaria
- According to Her by Maciej Hen, translated from the Polish by Anna Blasiak , Poland
- Body Kintsugi by Senka Marić, translated from the Bosnian by Celia Hawkesworth, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Nights of Plague by Orhan Pamuk, translated from the Turkish by Ekin Oklap, Türkiye
- Mondegreen by Volodymyr Rafeyenko, translated from the Ukrainian by Mark Andryczyk, Ukraine
- The Books of Jacob by Olga Tocarczuk, translated from the Polish by Jennifer Croft, Poland
This year's winners will be announced on 15th June.