The 'shortlist' of nominations for this year's Booker Prize, the most prestigious award given to authors of the best books in the English language, has been announced.
The following titles and their authors have been nominated for this year's Booker Prize:
- NoViolet Bulawayo (Zimbabwe), “Glory”
- Percival Everett (USA) “The Trees”
- Alan Garner (United Kingdom), “Treacle Walker”
- Shehan Karunatilaka (Sri Lanka), ”The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida”
- Claire Keegan (Ireland), ”Small Things Like These”
- Elizabeth Strout (USA), “Oh William!”
To date, only one of the nominated books has been published in Polish ('Oh William!' by Elizabeth Strout translated by Ewa Horodyska). Work on several other translations is ongoing.
Since 2014, the Booker Prize has been awarded to authors of any nationality for the best books written in English. In addition to the prestige, the winner can expect a financial prize of £50,000.
The winner of this year's award will be announced on 17 October, during the Frankfurt Book Fair. This year's award jury includes Neil MacGregor, Shahidha Bari, Helen Castor, M. John Harrison, and Alain Mabanckou.