Recruitment for the Translators’ Collegium 2021 open until the end of the month
Despite the difficult epidemic situation, the Book Institute remains in constant contact with translators of Polish literature from all over the world. Each year, we host a group of translators in Krakow and Warsaw, offering them conditions for quiet work on translations, library research, meetings with authors and publishers. Until 30 September 2021, we are accepting applications for a study stay in 2022. We warmly invite you to apply!
The study stay programme of the Translators' Collegium is addressed to all translators of Polish literature, both those with great achievements as well as beginners.
The candidates may apply for a one-month stay in Krakow (Translators' Collegium at the Book Institute, at 6 Z. Wróblewskiego Street) or in Warsaw at Tadeusz Konwicki's former flat (at 1/68 Górskiego Street).
Within the study stay, the participant receives:
• accommodation free of charge
• reimbursement of travel costs (return trip),
• a daily allowance (30 PLN for each started day) and pocket money (40 PLN per day),
• help in organising meetings with publishers or writers.
To apply for the residency, the candidate must have at least one translated text published in print or in a serious internet publication to their name.
According to the rules of the Programme, the resident translator may be asked to give a guest lecture to Jagiellonian University students. The topic of the lecture is decided jointly by the translator and the organisers.
In addition, the translator is required to prepare a report on the study visit, which may serve the organisers in their further activities promoting the Translator's Collegium. The report should be sent to the Book Institute's email address within two months of the end of the stay.
The rules of a candidate’s application:
Candidates are invited to submit their applications by email. Please include the following information:
- Resume (date of birth, place of residence, education, professional activity)
- Contact details (home address, postal address, e-mail, telephone number),
- Full list of published translations (and possibly other publications)
- Brief description of the work planned for the study stay (namely on which translation the Candidate will be working during their stay, what kind of research/searches/consultations are needed, etc.
- Brief description of the applicant's planned activities with a view to placing the translation on the publishing market,
- Information about preferred dates and place of stay
- Information about a preferred subject of the lecture for students
- Alternatively: a recommendation (by translator with significant achievements, publisher, Polish philologist, cultural institution, Polish diplomatic post, academic centres)
Only applications related to work on the translation of specific works will be considered, not, for example, research or academic projects.
Translators who have been to the Translators' Collegium cannot apply for another stay within the next two years.
Applications for the 2022 residency are accepted until 30 September 2021 and should be sent to the following email address: email@example.com.
Once next year's residency recipients have been selected, we will contact them individually.
The contact person for the Translators’ Collegium programme is Łucja Gawkowska (firstname.lastname@example.org).